Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Gutters (link)

GETTING INTO YOUR GUTTERS
Neglect your rain gutters and the effects may be seen inside as well as outside.
  
http://enewsletter.housemaster.com/7_2006.html

(From The HouseMaster eNewsletter)

I have to confess that I neglected my gutters until recently.  The water seemed to be coming out the downspout freely, and there aren't any trees real close to the house--well, besides the oaks...  Anyway, I finally borrowed a neighbor's extension ladder a couple weeks ago and looked down inside the gutter.  Who'd have thought it?!  The gutter was full of shingle granules in hills and valleys with little ponds.  I cleaned it out with a narrow trowel and must have climbed up and down that ladder a hundred times.  Well, it seemed that way.  I had to work my way down it again with a hose to get what I couldn't reach over the steps.  It's not as clean as it could be, but we'll have to get someone to get the bulge out (the broom handle helped a little) and make sure it's firmly attached.  It looks loose.  Drat.  I've read those warnings about checking your gutters for years!  At least we didn't have plants growing in ours.

No comments: