Tuesday, February 27, 2007

DIY decorating secrets

Lessons from a Schoolhouse is an interesting article in the March Country Home about a couple who remodelled and re-decorated an old school house.  Hints include not going with trendy colors, but mixing your own shades from discounted cans of paint.  And since newer homes don't have the old beautiful window moldings, you can use wood shutters.  (It looks like they used old exterior shutters.)  And the trio of old mirrors on the dressing table adds interest.  (I don't know if they're just propped up or not.  I think that new idea of leaning mirrors and paintings against a wall isn't safe or attractive.)  Oh, and I think the birdhouse made from a sap bucket and topped with an industrial funnel is cute and clever.  (It looks like the tinman though.) 

3 comments:

radar446 said...

I think it is a great idea to remodel and live in an old school house.  I just love old structures and hate that they seem to be getting torn down daily.  Anything that can be done to preserve these wonderful old structures is just great by me.

Greg
http://journals.aol.com/radar446/PhotoTrek/

pagadan said...

Greg,

Yes!  I love saving and recycling old buildings, and I enjoy ReZONED and similar shows on HGTV.  As a matter of fact, when I was a kid, my parents looked at an old schoolhouse, but it was a one room schoolhouse and way too small for our family, but it was fun looking at it.  

talilin said...

Now that's a great use of discounted cans of paint--talk about recycling and getting your own "custom" colors.