Saturday, April 7, 2007

Appliances

The May issue of Consumer Reports includes an article on refrigerator types and brands.  The top freezer type is best for narrower spaces; and the side-by-side is best for kitchens that don't have the space for wide-swinging doors, but the latter is not very space efficient; the most impressive is the Kenmore Pro Professional Size Refrigerator/Freezer.  It looks like a restaurant model, and I'd love to have one; BUT it uses about 60% more electricity than the next largest model.  See the article for more information.  

I have always used the top freezer model.  I like having the freezer at eye level.  And I'm pleased to see that they're the most efficient--cheaper to buy and run and have the most storage space for their size.  Few models of either the top or bottom freezer models have water or ice dispensers, but I never wanted that anyway.  (More expensive and more problem-prone, including dogs that learn to use them.)

Another piece looks at appliance life spans and reliability.  Btw, there's a recall on Maytag and Jenn-Air brand dishwashers (fire danger).  I was feeling complacent until I read that there was an earlier recall on Whirlpool and Kenmore dishwashers.  For all the dishwasher recalls, check out: www.cpsc.gov  Oh, wow!  That list goes on forever!!

 

No comments: