Thursday, October 16, 2008

An interview with Joy V. Smith

Writers Manual welcomes you!Learn how to create a successful writing career!

An Interview With Joy Smith

Tell us a bit about yourself. What would you like us to know about you?

I've been writing stories since I was a kid. My stories and articles have been published in print magazines, webzines, and anthologies; and my SF has been published in two audiobooks, including Sugar Time. Recent books include Building a Cool House for Hot Times without Scorching the Pocketbook and a children's book, Why Won't Anyone Play with Me?

What are you doing now? (Career? Married? Single? Children? Pets?)

I'm a writer, not married; and my latest pet is Xena, the warrior puppy.

What is your favourite food?

Tex-Mex, Chinese, southern, German, ...

What is your favourite colour?

Pink, but I like lots of colors, and I will never paint my house white!

What is your favourite sound?

Frogs calling from the pond.

Who is your favourite person?

Too many favorites, and I would never hurt anyone's feelings by singling one person out.

What is your favourite place?

Home is good, but I love to travel. I'd like to go to England again.

What is your favourite memory?

The farm.

What is your favourite article of clothing?

My Deva freedom pants.

What is your favourite word?

Negative.

What is your favourite writers' quote and why?

You don't have to get writing done right the first time; it's not like brain surgery. (Not an exact quote, and I don't remember the writer.) Because I understand why we need to edit.

What is your most favourite quality about yourself?

Persistence. I'm working on patience.

What is the least favourite quality about yourself?

Impatience.

If you could go anywhere in the world right now, where would it be and why?

England. I've been there and there wasn't time to see it all, or Scotland, Wales, France...

What inspires you to write and why?

I want to share the stories in my head.

What is your favourite book and why?

Too many! Possibly Witches Abroad by Terry Pratchett--funny and deep.

What is your favourite genre and why?

Science fiction. The sense of wonder.

List your three favourite authors (any genre) and why?

Terry Pratchett (fantasy)
James H. Schmitz (SF)
Sharon Lee & Steve Miller (SF) As with all my favorites, you can reread them--more than once.

What do you think makes a writer successful?

Good characters and an interesting plot and background.

What is it that makes you successful as a writer?

Good imagination and perseverance.

What are your goals as a writer?

To have more people enjoy my stories and maybe have them optioned for films.

What is the best tip you can give to fellow writers?

Edit and persevere.

What do you hope to provide your readers with through your writing?

Entertainment and education. (I love to throw in facts and interesting background.)

List your three favourite online writer-resource sites and why (include URLS).

Absolute Write: www.absolutewrite.com/(Recommended)
Preditors & Editors: anotherealm.com/prededitors/(Resources & annual poll)Ralan.com: http://www.ralan.com/ (up-to-date)

If you have published a book, tell us about your publishing success (title, publishing date and company, where it is available to purcahse).

My most recent book (since Building a Cool House in Hot Times without Scorching the Pocketbook and Why Won't Anyone Play with Me?) is Aliens, Animals, and Adventure. This was published through Anthology Builder, where you can create an anthology or a story collection, as I did.

How long did it take you to write your book(s)?

Years of creating and polishing...

What would you do differently if you could repeat the same publishing experience?

Hmm. I had to work my way through my stories and books. I don't see what I could have done differently that wouldn't have slowed me down...

What have you learned about the publishing world?

It's always changing...

This is your chance to 'Talk Back' to your readers. What would you like to say to them?

I hope you enjoy my stories. That's why I wrote them.

What's the one thing that you want them to know about your writing?

I worked hard to get them to you!

No comments: