Saturday, April 11, 2009

Home decorating and other ideas

There are some good ideas in the May issue of Country Living. I liked the one about using cloches to display small accessories and little plants. The pitcher plant in the large cloche with the terra cotta base is my favorite.

Have you thought of using a rake for holding ties or goblets or letters? (The handles have been removed.)

There's an interesting photo spread on the best-selling China plates in America. Blue Canton has been a best seller since 1983.

I'm not so crazy about the feed sacks (look on ebay) used to cover pillows, chair seats, etc.

There are two different interesting pieces also. One is on the National Trust's photo-sharing campaign--This Place Matters. Participants post photos of local buildings and sites that mean something to them.
Link: http://www.preservationnation.org/

The second piece focuses on the Humane Society's Longmeadow Rescue Ranch (Union, Missouri) for farm-animal care and rehabilitation. You can adopt from there and help them and the animals.

Of course there are also recipes. I see someone has dog-eared the jam-glazed chicken recipe. Hmm. And I ripped out the cucumber soup recipe, and someone has already made it. (I rarely cook.) Not bad, but I like strawberry soup better. (I got that recipe from the Veranda restaurant near Disney World years ago.)

1 comment:

Joy V. Smith said...

"The Country Living cold cucumber soup recipe was delicious. Plain yogurt can be substituted for the sour cream and still be creamy and delicious."