Monday, July 27, 2009

Wheel Estate

Wheel Estate (Johns Hopkins Press, 1997) is an in-depth look at mobile homes and housing. It was originally published in hardcover by Oxford University Press in 1991, and it's dated, but full of historical background and photos.

I bought it when I discovered that my uncles, who were pioneers in the mobile home field (they began building them on my grandparents's farm, where I was born), are mentioned in it. (They would really gnash their teeth when people called mobile homes trailers. I was raised knowing the difference.)

For a while my family lived next to the first factory (Rollohome) and I'd visit it sometimes.

1 comment:

Joy V. Smith said...

Rollohome (the first company) and Marshfield Homes were sold, but Wisconsin Homes is still in the family: http://www.wisconsinhomesinc.com/AboutUs/tabid/54/Default.aspx