Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Home ideas

In the September issue of Old-House Interiors, there are some lovely appliances--the Big Chill retro stove, a wood-burning Artisan stove that heats water (ideal for remote homes that are off the grid), and a Northstar streamlined fridge. You've got some great color choices. There are also some beautiful reproductions of WPA posters.

I enjoyed a fun article of a homeowner's adventure on getting his house on HGTV's If Walls Could Talk. Lots of interesting background. And there's a good article on Dutch Colonials. (My family lived in one when I was a kid; ours was one with a sun porch on the side.) Plus a helpful article on furnishing a home dating from postwar America (1940s).

There are more articles full of ideas with great photos, including Hoosier built-ins. I especially enjoyed the reproduction kitchen sink from Signature Hardware. The family had one when I was a kid, and we lived in a foursquare.

I mentioned the Dutch Colonial and American Foursquare I've lived in. Other homes include apartments in Boston and a variety of homes in Florida and Wisconsin. I learned a lot about what I wanted from all those homes--and house books and magazines. When it came time to build, I was ready to put all my knowledge--and my folder full of ideas--to work. You can learn from what I learned--and the occasional mistake--in my house book, Building A Cool House for Hot Times without Scorching the Pocketbook, which is available from: Building a Cool House for Hot Times Without Scorching the Pocketbook (This is the edition with the color photos.)

No comments: