Tuesday, April 3, 2012

C is today's letter

Chamber pots, aka thunder mugs, are not as prevalent today, but I have one that's a family heirlom. (It possibly belonged to my grandmother.) In any case, my family used it when camping, in emergencies, and when I was camping on site when my house was being built--an experience you can read about in Building a Cool House for Hot Times without Scorching the Pocketbook. (We got started a little late--this was when the two-year rollover law was in effect--and we were advised that someone needed to live on the premises.) We had no plumbing, and one power line running to the temp pole, so we did have a fan at night.

4 comments:

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

I have never heard the term thunder pots before, but I must say, I LOVE it. Right up there with Thunder Buns ... Count me in as your newest follower. Happy A-Zing.

Jeremy Bates said...

Chamber pots bring back a not too distant memory for me. My ex-girlfriend's cousins father (whew, did you follow that?) built a new house.

We were invited to the housewarming party, rife with food and 'beverages' of various alcohol content.

When it came time to release the aforementioned, I inquired as to where the restroom was.

To my chagrin, I was directed to what was a closet-sized room with a curtain rather than a door. Inside was, you guessed it, a chamber pot!

I still don't understand the logic of that in our contemporary times. Just odd!

Joy V. Smith said...

Susan, Glad to increase your vocabulary! Happy A-Zing. I like that!

Joy V. Smith said...

Jeremy, Hmm. Maybe the plumbing wasn't connected yet? I am curious. When I turned the water on to our new house so I could fill the water heater--which you have to do before turning it on--the line wasn't fastened running to the house, and it blew off the connection. Fortunately someone noticed what had happened so I could turn off the pump at the well. What a gully! Btw, how full was the chamber pot?