Friday, April 6, 2012

F is for frogs

One of my favorite frogs is the little green native tree frog here in Florida.. We had a few at our home in the country, though the big, brown Cuban tree frogs are displacing them. Btw, the excrement of those big frogs is really icky and requires a lot of work to clean it up, so you know they are definitely not my favorite tree frog! We haven't seen any here in town; we do have anoles, though they're mostly brown. Again the big guys are displacing the beautiful green anoles that are native. (They're often called chameleons, but they're not the real chameleon, which are the ones with the eyes that swivel.) My other favorite tree frog is the White's tree frog from Australia. They come in green, blue, and brown, and we had several over the years: Sydney, Tazi, Kiri, Yampi, and Kiwi.

6 comments:

nutschell said...

oh my. Never did like frogs. We had tons of them hopping around the backyard when I was growing up.
great to meet you through this A-Z!
Nutschell
www.thewritingnut.com

Joy V. Smith said...

Nutschell,

Hi! Thanks for dropping by. Tree frogs are cute! You might have had toads? I think there are fewer toads today; we used to have a nice amount back in the day--especially after a good rain when babies were all over the map, but then the black snakes found them, and they were all over the map... Hmm. Maybe I'll do toad houses for T.

mshatch said...

We have peepers in Maine, they make a happy sound, and bullfrogs but nothing weird or giant. Which is fine by me :)

Sharkbytes said...

We just found a tree frog today, in the barn! I'm trying to visit all the A-Z Challenge Blogs this month.

Joy V. Smith said...

We had a pond at our home in the country, and the bullfrogs were sure noisy! I'm not sure if we had peepers.

Joy V. Smith said...

I hope you enjoyed discovering your tree frog--and I admire your ambition!