Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Home and garden ideas

There are some lovely garden photos and ideas in the June issue of Southern Living.  The lawn steps are impressive, but how do you keep them looking so lush? And I guess you'd mow them with a weed whacker...   A house addition was connected to the house with a breezeway--rather like a dogtrot, an early style I've always liked. (We built a home modeled on that idea; you really appreciate it when you lose your electricity for days after a hurricane.)
The closing essay focuses on stillness and quiet--and how rare that is today. It reminded me of visiting our home site in the country years ago and hearing only the wind sighing through the pines. And I want to close with a quote from Lucy Smith earlier in this issue: "The worse decisions I have made have been fear-based..."  [Mine too.]

No comments: