Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Plumbing lines (link)

I came across this basic plumbing line info on one of the blogs:

" ... Can a sink be hooked up to a higher drain line? Or will I have to stay with a smaller sink? ..."

A: ... This is not an uncommon problem, since most plumbing fixtures are installed to factory rough-in measurements.

Let me explain. When a new house is being built, the plumber runs the water and drain line while the walls are open. At that point, the plumber should have a fixture list with all the specifications as to where the pipes need to stick out of the wall. This is called the "rough-in" work.

Once the walls and or cabinets are closed in, then the plumbing fixtures are installed and hooked up to those water and drain line stubs. This is called the "finish" work.  ..."

Link: Ed Del Grande: Ask Ed -- Deep Trouble for Kitchen Sink

No comments: